Here are 15 common reasons for the all too common sleep problems affecting a large part of the United States population.
1. Airway blockages, an area where a few learned dentists can help with oral appliances and laser collagen therapies, and also our medical colleagues( for severe sleep apnea cases). Blockages are mechanical: enlarged turbinates in your nose from allergies, swollen tonsils and/or adenoids from chronic infections, deviated septums to a degree, elongated soft palates and uvulas and lateral pharyngeal tissues with inadequate tone, and enlarged tongues.
2. Chronic pain from cervical, back, and shoulder issues. Old injuries, poor posture at work, school, and home.
3. Allergies. Chronic sinus problems, sneezing from dust and pollen in the house and coming through window screens, feathers in comforters (use organic cotton covers instead), dust from overhead fan blades. Remedies include cleaning areas of dust, and better filtering systems on HVAC systems to removes allergens from your home environment. The histamine released because of allergies is excitatory to the brain's neurons, not good for sleep.
4. Thyroid medications: they act as stimulants so taking them at night can keep you awake. Instead take them on an empty stomach in the morning when you need an energy boost. I recommend taking Iodoral (iodine & iodide supplement) for most people to help with the T4 to T3 conversion. In fact, if you were only to take one supplement, IODORAL is the one! Also, never take a synthetic, only use ARMOUR, or NATURE-THROID. There is much more on that in my book, The Superlongevity Rx.
5. Problems with methylation in your body imbalances the yin and yang of your stimulating and resting neurotransmitters. It inactivates histamine in your brain. I recommend the methylated forms of supplements where possible. Have your homocysteine level checked to see if it points to a SNP mutation in your MTFH gene. When methylation is not performed properly in your body, it may trigger insomnia, as well as seizures, agitation, and panic attacks.
6. Too much quinolinic acid, a neurotoxin made in the brain. Excess can result from taking too much L-tryptophan and not metabolizing it into serotonin and melatonin. Besides causing insomnia, too much QUIN can lead to psychiatric disorders (such as suicidal thoughts and depression) and other neurodegenerative processes. Drinking green tea (better to use white tea, the younger green tea with more antioxidants and less fluoride) helps decrease the quinolinic acid levels.
7. Fluoride, the enzyme killer, accumulates in the pineal gland and causes harm to melatonin production. Fluoride is ubiquitous in our environment and society. Dentists promote its benefits. More fake news!!! The only time fluoride works to your benefit is when applied topically in a dental office. Fluoridated city water is pure poison. It does nothing to protect your teeth and destroys your health at the same time. Supplement with melatonin if you have been affected. Usually 1 to 2 mg will do. But, you don't want too much. Excess melatonin will block your morning output of cortisol. Cut out all sources of fluoride. If you are unfortunate enough to live in a fluoridated community (i.e. non-consented mass medication with a poison), consider using distilled water with a little himalayan sea salt added to protect yourself. That's what I do when visiting areas with fluoridated water.
8. Prescription Drugs & Supplements: other medications such as Fluoroquinolones (yes, here again, fluoride is the enzyme killer, hopefully for just the pathogens, but there is always collateral damage), Decongestants, Antidepressants, Steroids, Albuterol, etc. also keep you from sleeping well. If you must medicate with a sleep interrupter medication, try taking it early in the day. Same goes for supplements like B6 and B12, take early in the day, not at night.
9. Stress before bed: altercations within families, emotional stress from movies and books. So make up before bed and do light fare movies and readings prior to sleep.
10. Late Eating and Inconsistent Eating Habits Prior to Sleep: get on a good schedule and stick to it.
11. Peppermint:a brain stimulant, be careful of using it in toothpastes and mouth rinses prior to bed.
12. Nicotine: a depressant and stimulant. A no-brainer here.. just don't do it!
13. Being too warm or too cold when trying to get to sleep and stay asleep.
14. Sources of Light in the Bedroom:this includes charging your electronics nearby. It prevents your pineal gland from making melatonin.
15. Citrus Scents: boost energy levels and mental stimulation, great during the day, but not a good idea a night.
I was going to put a #16 as having kids, but figured, don't go there. Those with children understand that one.
*** Always remember, most physicians will stupidly try to drug you with benzodiazepine, or drugs like Ambien. Don't go there. They are highly addictive! ***
Exposure of SILVER AMALGAM dental fillings to radio frequency radiation emitted from Wi-Fi devices increases MERCURY RELEASE from those fillings. That is the conclusion in a study recently published in the Journal of Health Science and Engineering, "Effect of radio frequency radiation from Wi-FI devices on mercury release from amalgam restorations".Dental amalgam is composed of approximately [...]
If you snore, awake at night gasping for air, or feel tired all day, you may have sleep apnea. Your airway is restricted or dangerously obstructed. This can lead to serious health problems such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke, shortening the quality and length of your life as outlined in my book, The Superlongevity Rx. [...]
6 upper teeth makeover. Definitely life changing!Changing your life with, sometimes simple, changes to your front teeth is done by people every day. That is why tooth whitening products are so popular, people trying to do it themselves.I am talking about the changes you cannot do yourself, changes in shape, positioning, chips, cracks, old fillings [...]
Porcelain on 4 upper incisors changing shape and positioning totally changed her smile. The confidence shows!Changing your life with, sometimes simple, changes to your front teeth is done by people every day. That is why tooth whitening products are so popular, people trying to do it themselves.I am talking about the changes you cannot do [...]
A more complex upper teeth smile makeover. Public appearances now a confident snap!Changing your life with, sometimes simple, changes to your front teeth is done by people every day. That is why tooth whitening products are so popular, people trying to do it themselves.I am talking about the changes you cannot do yourself, changes [...]
Shaping of upper incisors and nicely replacing 2 congenitally missing lower incisors made this patient ecstatic!Changing your life with, sometimes simple, changes to your front teeth is done by people every day. That is why tooth whitening products are so popular, people trying to do it themselves. I am talking about the changes you cannot do yourself, [...]
Have you had, or do you need, dental impressions for veneers, crowns, caps, or bridges? Do you remember the goop that had to sit in your mouth until it set, and the dentist had a difficult time pulling it out? Thought your teeth were coming with it?Did you know there is an alternative? I have [...]
Since I always advise that patients are their own "best doctors", and everyone needs to be responsible for themselves, I am often asked how one can help themselves heal after dental or any surgeries and injuries in general. Here is some concise general information.Although the temptation is there, do not take anti-inflammatory medications (aspirin, ibuprofen, [...]
Sleep Apnea, TMJ Disorders, Headaches, Facial Pain, Teeth Clenching & Grinding, Snoring, Teeth Breakage & Gum Recession: Is There A Single Oral Appliance Which Can Help Them All?
Those who have been my patients over the years know the answer to the title question. About 25 years ago I invented an intra-oral appliance which can be used for Sleep Apnea, Snoring, Airway Problems, Bruxism (Clenching and Grinding) with associated Teeth Breakage, Gum Recession and Pain, TMJ Disorders, plus Facial Pain and Headaches. It [...]